No evidence of JJPTR hacking

JJPTR5

KUALA LUMPUR, May 19 – Police have not found any evidence to show that the computers of collapsed investment scheme JJ Poor to Rich (JJPTR) were hacked, according to a report.

JJPTR founder Johnson Lee had earlier claimed that he had lost RM400 million to cyber-hackers.

The Star reported that police investigations also suggest that tens of millions of ringgit – the bulk of the money handled by JJPTR – could have been moved to overseas accounts by the operators of the scheme.

Quoting police sources, the report said investigations did not show that the company was involved in any foreign exchange trading and that a team comprising police and Bank Negara officials had frozen some accounts worth millions of ringgit.

The team is also ascertaining if the actual amount lost was RM1.73 billion, apart from trying to find out the actual number of people involved in the scheme. It is said that even people in countries such as the United States, Canada and China had invested in the scheme.

“There is also a possibility that Bank Negara will try to work with its counterparts overseas to check on the money trail,” The Star quoted sources as saying.

Lee and two of his aides have been arrested. They were picked up by police in Petaling Jaya about 4.30 am on Tuesday before being remanded.

Meanwhile, another report has been lodged against JJPTR, this time in Ledang, Johor. A woman in her 20s claimed she did not get her returns after investing RM4,700 in the scheme earlier this year, according to the report in The Star.

Members of JJPTR had been asked to invest between US$25 and US$1,000 (RM110 and RM4,400) and promised a monthly return of 20%.

Investors panicked when the 20% monthly interest they were promised was not deposited into their accounts in April. Soon, some of them made police reports and the authorities went into action.


Join the Conversation