KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 5 – The investigations into former Sabah chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman’s US$63.3 million graft case involving timber concessions contracts had previously been ordered closed, the Sessions Court was told.
Former federal court judge Datuk Seri Gopal Sri Ram, who is acting as lead prosecutor, said the case had been investigated by the Anti-Corruption Agency, now known as the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
“This is a case that had already been investigated. I cannot comprehend why it was ordered to be closed. Now it has been reopened and we have a strong case,” he said.
Sri Ram said this while submitting his proposal that bail of RM5 million be imposed on Musa.
Musa was charged at the Sessions Court with 35 counts of receiving bribes amounting to US$63,293,924 (RM263,460,962.313) in connection with timber concessions contracts in Sabah.
Meanwhile, Sessions Court judge Rozina Ayob ordered for the prosecution to expedite the submissions of the documents in accordance with Section 51A of the Criminal Procedure Code to defence counsel as the case involved witnesses from outside the country.
Sri Ram, however, said only two witnesses from outside the country would be called to testify.
He also said he was ready to proceed with the case.
Earlier, counsel Amer Hamzah Arshad, representing Musa, said his client had given full cooperation to the MACC throughout its investigation.
He said his client was receiving treatment in London on Aug 23 but despite that, he flew back here to assist MACC’s investigations.
“A notice had been served on Friday for my client to appear at the MACC office and he obliged. The notice given was for him to give a statement,” he said, adding that his client was not a flight risk.
Counsel Ridha Abdah Subri, who is assisting Amer, submitted that since his client had a travel ban, he was not a flight risk. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd